Here are our top security installation FAQs
1. What is the advantage of a Monitored system over an Audible only system?
A third of Britons ignore a ringing burglar alarm according to a report by Zurich Insurance and the BBC. Coupled with that, current noise regulations state that your burglar alarm can only sound for a maximum of 20 minutes. Monitored systems are never ignored. All activations are acted on by our NSI Gold Alarm Receiving Centre who will call your appointed keyholders and if applicable the Police.
2. Why should I choose an NSI approved company?
Here’s what NSI themselves have to say. “Before we accept a company they must be able to prove that it has been trading successfully and with this in mind, we also examine each applicant company’s accounts. We also ensure that company personnel, including engineers that may visit your premises, are security vetted.” Our NSI status can also lead to a significant reduction in your insurance premium.
3. I already have a system but it was installed by another company, can you maintain it?
Absolutely! We can take over the maintenance of all systems.
4. When is the soonest you can install an alarm for me?
On the whole we work to a 2-3 week lead time but if you’re desperate we will squeeze you in!
5. How long is the system guaranteed for?
All our systems come with a one year guarantee.
6. If I have a Monitored Alarm System do I need to have police response?
No you don’t. You can have your system monitored to contact only your key holders.
7. Can I reset the Alarm System myself if it has gone off?
Yes, we will try and help you reset the system over the phone if it was triggered accidentally. If we can’t solve the problem with you remotely, we can send an engineer to your property within 4 hours.
8. What if I’ve got pets or animals that need to be free to wander around the house whilst the Alarm system is set?
We can install Pet friendly movement detectors in the areas where your pets are. These detectors are specifically designed to ignore pets but still detect intruders.
9. If my security system is connected to my telephone line which has broadband on it will this affect my internet connection?
No it won’t. We will fit a broadband filter within the alarm control panel which will isolate the system from your broadband service.
10. What if there is a power cut, will my security system still work?
Yes. There is a rechargeable back up battery within the alarm control panel which ensures that your Alarm System functions properly in the event of a mains failure. This will keep your system powered for 7-12 hours.
11. What does my maintenance contract cover?
- 24 hour, 365 days a year call out cover
- 4 hour response time
- One service visit a year to fully test the system (2 for police response systems)
- Reduced number of false alarms and call outs
- Greatly reduced call out charges
12. Can the Fire services also be contacted in the event of a fire at the protected premises?
Yes. All you need is a monitored system and one or more smoke detectors fitted to your security system.
13. Can I part set my Alarm System at night when I’m on the premises?
Yes. The installation engineer can program your system so only certain areas of the building are armed when you are at home.
14. How long does it take to install the Alarm System?
This depends on whether it’s a wired or a wireless system. Generally wired systems take a little longer to install but on average we can install a domestic system within a day.
15. What is a user code?
Your user code is the number you type into the keypad to use your system.
16. What is a fob?
A keyfob or fob works in the same way as entering a code, but instead of manually typing in a user code, you hold the fob to the keypad display. The fobs will have to be programmed to work with the Intruder Alarm System either by the engineer at installation, or by yourself when purchasing additional fobs.
17. My alarm activates but my neighbours just ignore it…
Please read the answer to our FAQ 1: What is the advantage of a Monitored system over an Audible only system?
18. Will there be any mess?
Whilst every care is taken to keep dust to a minimum during installation by using dust sheets etc, occasionally dust needs to be vacuumed by the engineer ensuring your property is returned to its original cleanliness. This he/she will do before leaving.
19. I have lost my code or need to change it.
No problem, the code can be reset by a service engineer.
20. I’m not sure how to use my alarm/how to set it when I go to bed.
No problem, our service engineers can provide you with a manual and show you how it works.
21. The speaker is too loud when I set or unset the alarm, can the volume be lowered?
Yes the speaker volume can be adjusted by reprogramming the control panel.
22. What is a speech dialler?
A speech dialler on a security alarm system enables communication of alarm information to a standard or mobile telephone. This could be by speech or text. A speech dialler can be used on a monitored or audible only alarm system and can be used with most modern intruder alarm control panels.
23. I heard about an NSI Certificate of Compliance. What exactly is the point of my system receiving an NSI Certificate of Compliance?
Here’s what NSI themselves have to say. “This is the Certificate awarded to your intruder system or fire alarm system by your NSI installer. The NSI Certificate of Compliance will certify that your security or fire alarm system has been installed to the relevant industry standards by an NSI approved installer.” Our NSI status can also lead to a significant reduction in your insurance premium.